As more and more people become interested in adopting a whole foods lifestyle it is very important that people understand why whole foods are better for them as opposed to the foods that most people consume every day. Eating whole foods is not a diet but actually a decision that is made by an individual to only consume the foods that are the healthiest for their bodies. Whole foods are not processed and they do not contain a lot of different substances that a person can barely pronounce. Whole foods are simple and that is the main appeal about this type of food. It is simple and healthy. While there are many people that are interested in adopting a healthier lifestyle, there are also a number of people that are very hesitant as a result of being uncertain about how to begin the process of eating healthier foods. The following are ten reasons why people should eat whole foods.
1. All Natural – One of the most important aspects of eating whole foods is that they are all natural. Processed foods are filled with additional ingredients that are mainly used to keep them edible while they are in the supermarket. The addition of various preservatives introduces chemicals into the body that are not necessary and in some cases very unhealthy.
2. Filled with Nutrients – Whole foods are filled with nutrients that have not been depleted from processing. Even foods that are whole, such as fruits and vegetables, can lose their nutritional value once they are surrounded by excess salts and sugars. To get the most nutritional value for any foods it is best to eat certain foods in their natural state.
3. Great Source of Energy – Whole foods provides energy to the body in its most natural form. There are so many foods from vegetables to foods that are high in whole grains that can provide the body with large amounts of fuel that the body can easily process. Eating whole foods should be the initial choice for anyone that is looking to increase their energy levels.
4. Assists with Weight Loss – One of the best features of whole foods is that they have less calories and fat then processed foods. Although many people purchase diet foods in order to assist them in losing weight this really is not necessary. Whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats and fish typically have far less calories then the commercial diet foods making them a healthy, natural choice for weight loss.
5. Good for the Heart – Many of the foods that help to strengthen and protect the heart are whole foods. Such food as fish, which is high in omega – 3 fatty acids, helps to support hearth health. Likewise, a diet that is high in fiber which can be obtained by eating whole grains can help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
6. Full of Antioxidants – Anyone looking for foods that are antioxidant rich need look no further than whole foods. Only natural foods contain antioxidants. Antioxidants are known for fighting free radicals which can mutate the cells in the body and lead to various diseases and increase the signs of aging. By eating the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables each day, people can help their bodies prevent a number of diseases.
7. Fresh Food – Why eat food that has been sitting on a shelf for weeks when people can eat food that is fresh? This is a good argument for eating whole foods. No, whole foods don’t have the shelf life that some food products have, but that’s what makes them better. A trip to the local farmers market can provide a bounty of delectable, fresh whole foods that are usually picked for sale the same day!
8. Free of Harmful Chemicals – Most whole foods do not contain many of the harmful chemicals that are used in processed foods. People that are interested in avoiding foods that are loaded with hormones, chemicals and other additives should shop for whole foods that are specially marked as organic. This will ensure that fruits, vegetables, meats and other whole food items have not been subjected to additives that will deplete their healthiness.
9. Helps with Moods – Studies have shown mental health and moods are affected by diet. People that ate more natural, whole foods were more likely to feel better overall. This can be contributed to a number of elements from liking one’s appearance to having a generally happy disposition. Whole foods are less likely to cause people to feel sluggish and worn down as the body is better able to process whole foods into the energy it needs to function. This can have astounding affects on a person’s mental and emotional well being.
10. Health Consciousness – Eating whole foods make people more health conscious. While it may be easier to prepare processed foods because they are convenient this does not make them healthy. When people commit to eating foods that are healthy they are more likely to check the labels for ingredients and tend to be more proactive about supplying their bodies with healthy food options as opposed to simply eating the most convenient food.